My Father the Hero

My Father the Hero
Mom said that Dad died in the war
He died when they blew up his car
Mom's jus a customer in the bar
My Father is the Hero of War

At school, kids with fathers tease me 
Telling stories of their father, not me
Playing in fields, hunting in forests, and me
I rush home to find an empty home, lucky me.

The polished photo of Dad on the wall
Medals, and smile, close enough to give a call
"How was your day daddy?" Silence is all
"When can we together laugh, and kick a ball?"

Today, I polish lead and steel into gold.
A humble profession, simple and old
Every man's got a price to be sold
I am the one to cash it in cold

To see the rising of a man's chest no more,
That brings relief to my souls sore
Blood, entrails, bowels and gore
They give me youth, now and evermore

Mother in the hospital is seventy-six
Her age and health seem too distant to fix
You can't teach an old dog new tricks
Her features of  fatigue under the crucifix

She calls me to give her words a hear
"Son, your daddy was never near,
He left you and me without shedding a tear
I know this for you is a lot to bear."

"What are you saying woman!
Was the Photo on the wall not the man,  
 Into the dangerous war zone that man ran
I believe your lies come from a dead land!"

"I hung a picture of a soldier with medals on his chest,
I wanted you to have the very best
Devastated when he left, I never again felt blessed
I could not stand to see my lies I confess."

"So you drank endless bottles of Booze?"
"Please, listen to me, stop the cycle of abuse."
"Why? So I can bury you and play the blues?"
"No. So you can find find your father Cruise."

"I do not care about Cruise! I did to a degree,
There was a time that I thought him near to me."
"Then find your father and set yourself free!"
"Old hag, You are barking up the wrong tree!"

"Your Father left me."
"My Father hangs on a wall."
"Don't do what he did."

You said that Dad died in the war
He died when they blew up his car
You were jus a customer in the bar
My Father stays the Hero of War

Comments

Popular Posts