Burial of a Crow

I was thinking back to something strange I had seen a while ago, 
I charmingly called what I had seen that day the Burial of a Crow.
A murder of crows were in front of my path in the forest one morning,
It was a strange sight, normally they would be nesting in the trees.

I cautiously approached them, my curiosity guiding my eyes along the path,
In the middle of the gathering, lay a corpse prostrate and motionless. 
No doubt it was one of their own. I had not noticed this detail yet, 
Though many ravens had been gathered, no sound came from the group. 

It was as if they were mourning as you and I mourn the loss of a loved one. 
Those birds understood the bitter kiss that death had given their brother, 
I dared not continue my way along the path, it was as if we agreed to be reverent. 
Days passed and I would look around the area that the body was laid.

No black bird in sight, there were bugs, berries, bushes, and a running stream nearby. 
 I thought that was what animals needed, or wanted, I guess I was wrong. 
I still think about what could have caused the death of that crow. 
It's body was intact, no feathers or hanging limbs, 

Perhaps only a cavity in it's breast could explain it's death,
There are no animals that can kill so precise, so clean.
Perhaps I am wrong about that as I had been wrong about the birds,
Perhaps it was my kind, the clean precise animal that killed that crow.

Comments

Popular Posts