Biking to Xunantunich Archeological Reserve

I made it to Xunantunich! In the morning I recorded mass at JP2 and at the end it started raining. I was sad that my plans would change. I decided to test the waters and go for a short ride to see how things were. As I kept riding the weather improved and I took the ferry across the river. I made my way up to the ruin. I had been riding for a while when I felt a few raindrops. I decided to take shelter under a tree that was covered with "matapalo". Cars passed me by as I sheltered from the rain and drank Lala yogurt and ate BBQ Pringles. After a while, I saw the rain turn into a drizzle and eventually become no more than a mist. I thought I had a long way to go yet and began uphill riding. I was pleasantly surprised to see that I had already made it to the parking lot. I had to leave my bike there. I walked around a bit, sat on the root of a big tree and kept snacking for a while as I looked around and saw many tourists and their tour guides explaining the history and architecture around us. I biked back down and had a bit of trouble getting my front brakes to stop, but I adjusted it before riding the ferry and heading back. This is the second archaeological reserve I visit on bike. I am planning on doing them all. Next I want to go to Cahal Pech. I've never been. I need to practice getting to Cayo first. I almost made it last time I went with Mr. David. We got all the way to Rumors. I think I can make it to Cayo, but I always have the fear that I'll run out of energy to get back and stay stranded on the road. I'm slowly getting over that fear and making it closer and closer. Thanks for reading this entry on my blog. Stay tune for more biking adventure stories. 

 

Comments

Popular Posts