Biking to Cahal Pech Archeological Reserve


 

I made it to  Cahal Pech! As usual I started my Sunday morning with recording the Spanish Mass. I stayed back for about an hour and talked with my friend Carlos. After a while I said goodbye because I knew I wanted to do the trip, but I didn't want to tell him that I would, so if I didn't do it it was okay. With no pressure on me I sent the recording packed my bag with two bananas and twenty dollars. I took this pic at the start with a coke bottle in the water bottle holder jus as a joke. 

It had been weeks since I had rode my bike. I did a few days back but it was nothing like this. I kept stopping to drink water and rest my legs and butt. All the time I had spent on the saddle had gone away and had me starting to get sore around the entrance to Calla Creek. I hopped off the bike and took this pic.  

Off in the distance I could see a few vultures and wondered why they were circling. I wondered if I was in that bad of a shape. Thankfully it was just a body of a rotten dog on the side of the street. I rode past that and continued my ride slowly breaking at the base of hills and sometimes walking up them. In my past rides I had only made it as far as rumors. Once I passed there I was filled with so much energy that I did not stop until I was past the Kontiki gas station.  

Once there I felt so good! I had made it. I wasn't there yet, but I had rode the furthest I had ever done. I smiled and took a picture of my checkpoint and got back on and powered up the hill and rode into San Ignacio triumphantly!

Once I got to the base of the hill I remembered that I needed snacks and I rode to a store close by and bought two chips and a sprite. I got back on the bike and started my ascent...

I got as far as the bump, realized I had to bike back and tapped out. I sat in this drain told my mom where I was and ate my snack. I sat there for some time looking at the impressive hill ahead of me and trying to put it off. I eventually got up and walked, or should I say crawled, up the hill. I got to see the sign. I had made it!

My time there was really good! I was so mad that I had put off going to Cahal Pech for sooooooo long, This was not only my first time going there on bike, it was my first time there. I understood why it is a hot destination for bird watchers. I saw so many types of birds but the one that stood out the most was one that I can only describe as the punk rock woodpecker. It had a huge mohawk! The one in the picture has a more toned down mohawk. 


I walked around and sat in one of the rooms. I have a vid on YouTube of me walking into a sort of hallway. 

https://youtu.be/b1MS48oVtHs

After it all I biked down the hill weary of holding onto the breaks too hard. I biked under the super hot sun and made it back around two. This is the third archaeological reserve I visited on bike. I am planning on doing them all. 

Next I want to go to Baking pot. I've never been. I need to read up on it first. I suggest that you do too if its the first time hearing that name. Thanks for reading this entry on my blog. Stay tune for more biking adventure stories.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts